15-Inch MacBook Air Will Reportedly Have M2 Chip

Apple's rumored 15-inch MacBook Air will be equipped with the M2 chip, according to Taiwanese supply chain publication DigiTimes. The report claims the laptop will be released in the second quarter of 2023, which runs from April through June.

MacBook Air Multiple Sizes Feature
"Industry sources said the 15-inch MacBook Air began mass production after the Lunar New Year and is expected to be released in the second quarter," the report reads.

Apple already updated the 13-inch MacBook Air with the M2 chip in July 2022. The chip is manufactured based on TSMC's second-generation 5nm process and is considered by some industry observers to be a stopgap until the 3nm-based M3 chip is ready. TSMC began mass production of 3nm chips in December.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo last year claimed that a new 15-inch MacBook with M2 and M2 Pro chip options would be released in the second quarter of 2023 or later. Kuo said this MacBook might not have Air branding.

The report's sources believe that Apple could update the MacBook Air again with the M3 chip in the second half of 2023. It would be unusual for Apple to update the MacBook Air twice in such a short timeframe, but it is certainly possible. The sources said the latest 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models were originally expected to be equipped with 3nm chips, but the M2 Pro and M2 Max are ultimately 5nm chips still.

This information comes just one day after display industry analyst Ross Young said Apple's supply chain started production of display panels for a 15-inch MacBook Air this month. Young estimated that the new MacBook Air will launch in "early April," which would be at the beginning of the second quarter timeframe reported today.

A new 15-inch display size would be the largest ever for the MacBook Air. The laptop has been offered in 11-inch and 13-inch sizes over the years.

Related Roundup: MacBook Air
Related Forum: MacBook Air

Top Rated Comments

mlrproducts Avatar
16 months ago
This makes sense.

Everyone wants an Air with a bigger screen, so they are giving us a “current” air with a bigger screen.

Nothing to see here.
Score: 36 Votes (Like | Disagree)
Analog Kid Avatar
16 months ago
"Product released before M3 might have M2 in it"

This doesn't seem like a revelation...
Score: 36 Votes (Like | Disagree)
v0lume4 Avatar
16 months ago
Having been less than a year since the M2 launched, I don’t find this much of a surprise.
Score: 20 Votes (Like | Disagree)
-BigMac- Avatar
16 months ago

Welp, guess I am not buying it until it has M3. I need the M3 chip and not willing to spend $1999 on it.
What do you NEED the M3 chip for, that the M2 doesn't do?

You don't even know the performance stats of M3.

NEED is a strong word
Score: 19 Votes (Like | Disagree)
eicca Avatar
16 months ago
In case this strikes anyone as a problem, just remember that the M2 has double (or more) the computing power of the classic Mac Pro that many pros are still using.

It’s an unbelievable piece of technology.
Score: 18 Votes (Like | Disagree)
TheYayAreaLiving ?️ Avatar
16 months ago

As a "loyal follower" of your posts ?, I must say that the color selection has been the biggest thing on your most-wanted feature list for Apple's laptop line...

We did get those "Starlight" and "Midnight" colors with the latest MacBook Air, but I think you are aiming for more fun colors like the 21-inch M1 iMacs, right.
Thank you for all your loyal support. Rest assured, it's recognized! ❤️

Correct! For many, it's the overall Performance and Functionality that are appealing to them. However, for me, I focus more on overall Industrial Design and Colors. I love the existing Midnight color on Macbook Air. I was going to pull the trigger last year but the 13" size was not appealing to me.

I also prefer deep/dark colors. I think they look rich, classy, and elegant. In addition, I really want Apple to introduce the new iPhone Pro lineup in Product Red this year. I've been begging Apple to make it happen for a while now.
Score: 17 Votes (Like | Disagree)

Popular Stories

apple crush ad

Apple Apologizes for 'Crush' iPad Pro Ad, Won't Put It on TV

Friday May 10, 2024 8:32 am PDT by
When introducing the new M4 iPad Pro models, Apple showed a video of a hydraulic press crushing all manner of creative tools, including musical instruments, electronic equipment, arcade games, paint and brushes, computers, cameras, and more, with the aim of demonstrating how the iPad represents all of the tools condensed into a single device. The ad was a play on the popular hydraulic press...
Beyond iPhone 13 Better Blue Face ID Single Camera Hole

10 Reasons to Wait for Next Year's iPhone 17

Thursday May 9, 2024 9:00 am PDT by
Apple's iPhone development roadmap runs several years into the future and the company is continually working with suppliers on several successive iPhone models concurrently, which is why we sometimes get rumored feature leaks so far ahead of launch. The iPhone 17 series is no different, and already we have some idea of what to expect from Apple's 2025 smartphone lineup. If you plan to skip...
ChatGPT for Mac

OpenAI Announces ChatGPT App for Mac, GPT-4 for Free, and More

Monday May 13, 2024 10:43 am PDT by
At its Spring Update event, OpenAI announced that it will be releasing a desktop app for the Mac, as seen in the screenshot below. The app will be rolling out to ChatGPT Plus subscribers starting today, ahead of a wider launch "in the coming weeks." "With a simple keyboard shortcut (Option + Space), you can instantly ask ChatGPT a question," OpenAI's press release says. In addition, Voice...
iOS 17

Apple Releases iOS 17.5 With Cross-Platform Tracking Detection, EU App Downloads From Websites and More

Monday May 13, 2024 10:04 am PDT by
Apple today released iOS 17.5 and iPadOS 17.5, major updates to the iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 operating system updates that came out last September. The 17.5 updates come more than two months after the launch of iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4. iOS 17.5 and iPadOS 17.5 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. In the European Union, ...
apple tv 4k red image

Apple Releases tvOS 17.5

Monday May 13, 2024 10:01 am PDT by
Apple today released tvOS 17.5, the fifth update update to the tvOS 17 operating system that came out last September. tvOS 17.5 comes two months after the release of tvOS 17.4. tvOS 17.5 can be downloaded using the Settings app on the ‌Apple TV‌. Go to System > Software Update to get the new software. ‌Apple TV‌ owners who have automatic software updates activated will be upgraded to ...