Wednesday, November 16th 2022

Global DRAM Revenue Down 30% in 3Q22—Unprecedented Since 2008 Financial Crisis

Global market intelligence firm TrendForce reports that for 3Q22, the revenue of the whole DRAM industry dropped by 28.9% QoQ to US$18.19 billion. This decline is the second largest to the one that the industry experienced in 2008, when the global economy was rocked by a major financial crisis. Regarding the state of the DRAM market in 3Q22, the QoQ decline in contract prices widened to the range of 10~15% as the demand for consumer electronics continued to shrink. Server DRAM shipments, which had been on a relatively stable trend compared with shipments of other types of DRAM products, also slowed down noticeably from the previous quarter as buyers began adjusting their inventory levels.

Turning to individual DRAM suppliers' performances in 3Q22, the top three suppliers (i.e., Samsung, SK hynix, and Micron) all exhibited a QoQ drop in revenue. Samsung posted US$7.40 billion and a QoQ drop of 33.5%, which was the largest among the top three. SK hynix's revenue fell by 25.2% QoQ to around US$5.24 billion. As for Micron, its revenue came to around US$4.81 billion. Since Micron marks its fiscal quarters differently, its DRAM ASP showed a QoQ decline that was smaller than the ones suffered by the two Korean suppliers. And as a result of this, Micron's QoQ revenue decline was also the smallest among the top three. TrendForce points out that the top three are still maintaining a relatively high operating margin at this moment. Nevertheless, the inventory correction period that has started this year will last through the first half of next year, so they will experience a continuing squeeze on profit.
On the topic of suppliers' capacity expansion plans, Samsung has gradually slowed down the transfer of its legacy wafer processing capacity from DRAM to CMOS image sensors due to the recent fall in demand for camera modules. Next year, Samsung will raise its DRAM production capacity as its new fab P3L enters operation. However, seeing that inventory reduction is not progressing at the originally anticipated pace, Samsung will decelerate its technology migration to limit its output growth. Looking at SK hynix, it will also rein in its output growth next year by putting some brake on its technology migration. Moving to Micron, it has pushed back the schedule for mass production with its 1beta nm process. This deferment has to do with the higher difficulty level for the development of this technology and the general demand slump. Micron's output growth in 2023 is forecasted to be the smallest among the top three. Furthermore, TrendForce is not ruling out the possibility of Micron making more tangible production cuts in response to the rapidly shrinking profit margin.

With regard to Taiwan-based DRAM suppliers, Nanya suffered the largest QoQ revenue drop among the top six suppliers in 3Q22, reaching as much as 40.8%. Nanya's result was attributed to the sizable share of consumer DRAM in its product mix as well as the sizable share of customers from Mainland China in its client base. Moving into this fourth quarter, Nanya has already scaled back wafer input but maintains the pace of its migration to the 1A nm. However, this technology will still be at the customer sample stage in 2023 as Nanya's clients hold a cautious demand outlook and are thus not keen on adopting the more advanced process. Therefore, the 1A nm process is not expected to make a noticeable contribution to Nanya's output until 2024. Turning to PSMC, its revenue fell by around 40.0% QoQ for 3Q22 owing to the plummeting consumer DRAM prices. PSMC's DRAM revenue that is presented here mainly pertains to the sales of its branded DRAM products that are manufactured in-house and excludes its DRAM foundry service. However, if DRAM foundry service is included in the calculation, then the QoQ decline was 22.9%. Lastly, looking at Winbond, its 3Q22 revenue still showed a significant QoQ decline of 37.4% even with a fairly conservative pricing strategy. This has to do with the considerable contraction of its shipments. Winbond already lowered the capacity utilization rate of its fab in Taichung in 3Q22. As for the setup of its new fab in Kaohsiung, the schedule for entering the mass production phase has been pushed back slightly due to the unfavorable market situation. The Kaohsiung fab will initially manufacture DRAM using the 25S nm process. This is expected to be followed by the deployment of the supplier's 20 nm process in 2H23.
Source: TrendForce
Add your own comment

37 Comments on Global DRAM Revenue Down 30% in 3Q22—Unprecedented Since 2008 Financial Crisis

thesmokingman
Unprecedented, more like expected given the current financial/global crisis. The Fed is actively killing consumer demand...
Posted on Reply
Dirt Chip
Like, everybody stuffed pc hardware for 2 years in the frenzy covid19 home time.
The market is saturated and recession winter is coming.
A good time for a big correction.

My crystal ball also foresee a flood, fire and catastrophic power failure at a major SSD\NVMe factory, maybe two...
Posted on Reply
mb194dc
thesmokingmanUnprecedented, more like expected given the current financial/global crisis. The Fed is actively killing consumer demand...
Indeed, they're crushing the housing market. NAHB down to 10 year low today... Two more rate rises this year, good luck..

Hard for me to imagine ultra expensive power hungry selling well in thus environment.
Posted on Reply
TheinsanegamerN
thesmokingmanUnprecedented, more like expected given the current financial/global crisis. The Fed is actively killing consumer demand...
More like the housing market has been propped up by artificially cheap debt that was unsustainable in the long run, and the chickens have finally come home to roost. It's all gonna get a lot worse, were were in a massive asset bubble and debt has been skyrocketing the last 2-3 years.
Dirt ChipLike, everybody stuffed pc hardware for 2 years in the frenzy covid19 home time.
The market is saturated and recession winter is coming.
A good time for a big correction.

My crystal ball also foresee a flood, fire and catastrophic power failure at a major SSD\NVMe factory, maybe two...
Guaranteed. The Cartel wont tolerate these losses for long....
Posted on Reply
TheLostSwede
News Editor
You're aware this is the same in most countries, to try and prevent the inflation to continue to rise, right?
Posted on Reply
thesmokingman
TheLostSwedeYou're aware this is the same in most countries, to try and prevent the inflation to continue to rise, right?
That's the point. The problem is the financial media who act like omg every time..
Posted on Reply
maxfly
And right on cue, Micron announces production cuts. There's still a chance for cheaper ddr5...yeah.
Posted on Reply
GunShot
Inflation = Su, etc. taking advantage of stimulus checks, etc. to jack-up prices (and they were hoping for more gov. assisted stimulus checks but it backfired on them :shadedshu:) and later, she and others blame... inflation. :kookoo:

Interests rate hikes = to curve and stop crooked companies at raising their prices by reducing consumer spending.

Even at rate hikes, there's money to be made.
Posted on Reply
dragontamer5788
mb194dcIndeed, they're crushing the housing market. NAHB down to 10 year low today... Two more rate rises this year, good luck..

Hard for me to imagine ultra expensive power hungry selling well in thus environment.
November meeting already happened. There's the Dec 13th to 14th meeting and that's it for the year, though Jan31st/Feb1st meeting comes next. Current guesses is 4.5% terminal rate (+.5% in Dec 2022 then maybe +.25% in Jan 2023), but its just that, a guess.

EDIT: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullwhip_effect

Its the Bullwhip effect in a nutshell. We try to correct the current problem, but then we just cause the opposite problem a few months later. After a few months of increasing rates, suddenly everyone's all "Inflation was transitory and it was a isolated supply chain disruption, why'd you raise rates so high and crash the economy??". Ah well. Screwed if you do, screwed if you don't. We'll never know what the correct move was looking back. Hopefully the Fed can navigate that "soft landing" for us and reduce the bullwhip effect on our economy (and the world economy). For now, I think we all can expect a lot of "oscillations" in the supply chain as consumers + producers continue to try to match supply with demand.
Posted on Reply
Tomgang
There can't really be any surprises about this. Pc market are in for a downturn, just as so much else these days and coming months ahead. 2023 is not going to be a fun year economically. Lots of people will lose their job and income will go down and that will impact the pc market sales.

I see more and more often that big companies laying of workers. Lastly it was Amazon laying of 10000 workers. Now people are becoming increasingly worried about losing job and spend less money on fun things. Inflation, interest rates, energy costs and more are as well guilty for causing people to spend less money on pc hardware.

So if dram manufacturers are surprised by less demand, many for seen a long time ago. There have been recession warnings since early 2022 and now it seems it has begun to manifest its ugly head.
Posted on Reply
Denver
A drop compared to the historical records of recent years driven by incarceration due to the pandemic, coff coff
Posted on Reply
thesmokingman
Nvidia gaming revenue down 51% YoY... again not unexpected. Analysts are spinning it to look positive but shit looks bad given they guided down not once but two times so slightly beating two down guides... lmao.
Posted on Reply
claes
DenverA drop compared to the historical records of recent years driven by incarceration due to the pandemic, coff coff
Incarceration?
Posted on Reply
kapone32
2022 is not a Good year to use as a benchmark vs 2021. The factors that contributed to 2021 are gone. At the end of the day PCs, even Gaming PCs are not something that are on a yearly cycle like I phones. I expect that we will see that CPUs that are insertable will be the best sellers in DIY as the 5800X3D, 12700K offer compelling upgrades. The biggest contributor in my opinion though is the gentrification of the space by exorbitant price gouging across all channels but DRAM and GPUs especially could be guilty of that. A good kit of DDR4 3600 32GB was steadily over $250 CAD all of last year. Now that DDR5 is there they still think they can sell good kits for $300. The kicker though is how they think that we should pay more is stupid. I bought an 8 TB drive as a reward for a successful business transaction. That exact same drive is $450 more today from the same retailer. Even though you have no warranty as it is a Micron drive.
Posted on Reply
Denver
claesIncarceration?
Yes, useless quarantine.
Posted on Reply
mechtech
If 64GB DDR4-3200 hits $100, i'll buy lots ;)
Posted on Reply
lexluthermiester
thesmokingmanThe Fed is actively killing consumer demand...
Inflation was and still is out of control. The only way to flatline it is to slow things down and stabilize them.
Posted on Reply
Robin Seina
What do they think? That people are stupid and will accept their high cartel prices for DDR5 and HBM? That is a basic economic rule - high price lowers the sale.
Posted on Reply
dicobalt
Considering prices it makes sense. Same kit of memory in Sept 2020 vs Today Nov 16 2022:

Posted on Reply
dicobalt
claesDon’t understand the fuss here, haven’t ram prices been in decline?

googles away, seems like yes?

pcpartpicker.com/trends/price/memory/
www.notebookcheck.net/Consumer-RAM-prices-are-now-projected-to-drop-even-faster-in-Q3-2022-despite-raging-inflation.640676.0.html
jcmit.net/memoryprice.htm
www.trendforce.com/presscenter/news/20220922-11391.html
PC Part Picker has dropped lots of data from sources like Amazon, also the data only goes back 2 years. Have a look at my post above yours. That is where the disconnect is.
Posted on Reply
claes
What about the other source and market reports?

Not sure if it makes sense to look at an old model? Here’s a newer version for $90. Admittedly more than you paid, but not in the way you’re demonstrating
www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232091?item=N82E16820232091&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-mobile-_-pla-_-memory+%28desktop+memory%29-_-N82E16820232091&id1=2085190752&id2=77186933179&id3=&id4=&id5=pla-570902185655&id6=&id7=1022762&id8=&id9=g&id10=m&id11=&id12=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jf7synWtbZ1TazFoowWCrkV4sU46YrnrnCHZ_nLd-Z1cE5UpnNb_kMaAlDzEALw_wcB&id13=Y&id14=Y&id15=&id16=375179896468&id17=&id18=&id19=&id20=&id21=pla&id22=8438988&id23=online&id24=N82E16820232091&id25=US&id26=570902185655&id27=&id28=&id29=&id30=13092775919333324324&id31=en&id32=&id33=&id34=&gbraid=0AAAAAD-YhmNnY2y0J3XPufo-EMLfeGRxF&gbraid=0AAAAAD-YhmNnY2y0J3XPufo-EMLfeGRxF&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jf7synWtbZ1TazFoowWCrkV4sU46YrnrnCHZ_nLd-Z1cE5UpnNb_kMaAlDzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Couple dollars more for 3600:
www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232928?item=N82E16820232928
Posted on Reply
dicobalt
claesWhat about the other source and market reports?

Not sure if it makes sense to look at an old model? Here’s a newer version for $90. Admittedly more than you paid, but not in the way you’re demonstrating
www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232091?item=N82E16820232091&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-mobile-_-pla-_-memory+%28desktop+memory%29-_-N82E16820232091&id1=2085190752&id2=77186933179&id3=&id4=&id5=pla-570902185655&id6=&id7=1022762&id8=&id9=g&id10=m&id11=&id12=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jf7synWtbZ1TazFoowWCrkV4sU46YrnrnCHZ_nLd-Z1cE5UpnNb_kMaAlDzEALw_wcB&id13=Y&id14=Y&id15=&id16=375179896468&id17=&id18=&id19=&id20=&id21=pla&id22=8438988&id23=online&id24=N82E16820232091&id25=US&id26=570902185655&id27=&id28=&id29=&id30=13092775919333324324&id31=en&id32=&id33=&id34=&gbraid=0AAAAAD-YhmNnY2y0J3XPufo-EMLfeGRxF&gbraid=0AAAAAD-YhmNnY2y0J3XPufo-EMLfeGRxF&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsdKbBhDHARIsANJ6-jf7synWtbZ1TazFoowWCrkV4sU46YrnrnCHZ_nLd-Z1cE5UpnNb_kMaAlDzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Couple dollars more for 3600:
www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232928?item=N82E16820232928
I tend to disbelieve the DRAM vendors convicted multiple times for price fixing, especially when they are using processes we know are extremely mature and high volume and have been since before the pandemic.

Sources that say the prices are going down are failing to calibrate their logic to what DDR4 prices were before the boom in demand happened. They keep telling us the boom is over and the shortages are gone yet the prices remain 50% higher than before the boom. The modules I showed are still being manufactured and extremely popular, that's why I used them as an example. As I said DRAM vendors have been found guilty of price fixing multiple times, in the EU and even in the US where anarcho-capitalism is part of our economic culture.

My C16 3600 was in-fact a cheap middle of the road module from mid 2020, it's cheap Hynix and is not extraordinary in the least. The newer RAM you've linked is slower, one is 3200MT/s instead of 3600 and the other is C18 instead of C16, both kits with a first word of 10ns instead of 8.889ns or less. They still produce that RAM and usually it's around $130 these days but dips down for brief periods due to what I assume are RMAs. The rest of that 3600 C16 category has mostly much higher prices. Corsair has matched G.Skill prices.

Is this money going to bringing new fabs online, relieving supply constraints, or is it going to corporate cash hoarders who want to buy out their competition till there is no competition left? Someone is wrong or lying. That's how corporate business is conducted in the US. Perhaps that business model has spread to Asia now?

Posted on Reply
Flyordie
I'm sitting on $9,000USD in spare cash. No debt. I've just scaled back my spending and dumped into savings because I don't see any need to upgrade anything I have right now.

My PC does everything I need it to. Now if AMD were to make a product I want, then sure. I'll upgrade and spend $2,000-3,000 to do it. But they don't have any products now or coming up that I want or would entice me to upgrade. I am sure there are millions of others like me in the same position that their current PCs are doing them just fine so they are holding onto them.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment
May 21st, 2024 03:22 EDT change timezone

New Forum Posts

Popular Reviews

Controversial News Posts